Mouth ulcers or canker sores are lesions that appear inside the mouth, especially on inside parts of the cheeks. These ulcers lead to uncomfortable pain while eating, drinking or brushing teeth.
The exact cause of mouth ulcers is not known. Sometimes it may occur due to some nutritional deficiencies or due to injuries. Following are some of the reasons which can lead to mouth ulcers.
- Deficiency of certain vitamins (VB12), iron and folic acid.
- Some medications such as anti-inflammatory drugs (ibubrofen), nicorandil and phenobarbitals.
- Change in hormonal level. Some women develop mouth ulcers during their menstruation cycle or after menopause.
- Some gastrointestinal diseases such as Crohn’s disease, coeliac disease.
- Injuries to soft part of mouth tissues due to aggressive brushing, badly fitted dentures or sport injuries.
- In some individuals, physical and emotional stress.
- Runs in some families, hence genetics may be one of the critical factors.
- Toothpaste containing sodium lauryl sulphate.
- Accidental cheek or lip bite or injury due to cracked or chipped tooth.
- Some diseases like AIDS or neutropenia.
According to Dr. Ranjitha Mukund, mouth ulcers usually disappear on their own after a few days, but if they persist for more than 3 weeks or keep recurring, you need to visit your dentist immediately.
To know more about mouth ulcers and how they can be avoided, please feel free to contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. Many people from Meriden come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Cromwell, Kensington and Farmington.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|