Mouth ulcers are painful. Generally they are round or oval in shape that appear inside the mouth, mostly on the cheeks and lips. They are white, yellow or grey in color with red inflamed rims .
Although mouth ulcers have the ability to recur frequently and can cause pain and discomfort while eating and drinking, if taken proper precautions they can be avoided. Following are some tips that will help you to avoid the occurrence of mouth ulcers:
- Incorporate good oral hygiene habits – Incorporating proper brushing and flossing techniques will help you to keep your mouth clean and free of food particles that might trigger sore formation. Dentists always recommend use of soft brush bristles and sodium lauryl sulfate-free toothpastes and mouth rinses as these can trigger formation of mouth ulcers .
- Keep a check on what you eat – Certain foods such as chips, nuts, spices and acidic fruits (grapefruits, oranges, pineapples, etc.) can cause mouth ulcers. Hence avoiding such foods in a sensitive person is the best way to keep mouth ulcers away.
- Eat healthy food – In some, deficiency of vitamins, iron, etc. can cause mouth ulcers. Therefore, eating food rich in vitamins and iron will prevent formation of ulcers in such individuals.
- Protect your mouth – Certain orthodontic appliances such as braces have sharp edges which can irritate parts of the mouth causing mouth ulcers. Visit your dentist to cover or file off such sharp edges.
- Minimize stress in life – As sometimes mouth ulcers may be related to stress, practicing stress-reduction activities such as yoga or meditation can reduce the formation of stress-related ulcers.
In case you have more queries or concerns regarding mouth ulcers and how to prevent them from occurring, watch our videos below or contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. Many people from East Berlin come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
Email: [email protected]
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|