The habit of chewing gum dates back 3000 years. It is a soft substance used for chewing and not for swallowing. The process of chewing gum involves increased saliva flow in the mouth. It washes away acids produced from break down of stale food particles in the mouth. Too much acid breaks down tooth enamel making room for decay.
Side effects of chewing gum on teeth
- A condition called temporomandibular joint disorder with symptoms of muscle and joint pain
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Tooth erosion and decay
Health benefits of chewing gum
- Reduces stress: according to a study published in the Journal of Prosthodontic Research. People who chew gum for long hours noticed reduction in stress hormone cortisol.
- Improves memory: studies have shown chewing gum strengthens memory by increasing blood flow to the brain.
- Strengthens concentration levels: studies have shown chewing gum increases concentration power due to movement of jaw that stimulates nerves, and keeps the mind alert.
- Lowers acid reflux and heart burn: the increased saliva production is known to lower acid production in esophagus.
For further information regarding dental health care contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. Families from Cromwell find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Meriden, Rocky Hill and Farmington.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|