“Taking proper dental care is very essential for good health, especially for those people suffering from diabetes as they face more oral health risk due to high blood sugar”, says Dr. Ranjitha Mukund, Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111. (860)-865-0056.
High sugar level in blood impairs white blood cells, which are body’s defence mechanism against bacterial infections occurring in the mouth. Dentists, therefore advice diabetic patients to take care of their sugar level as poorly controlled sugar level can lead to more oral health problems.
Following are the five major oral problems faced by diabetic patients:
- Dry mouth – Poorly controlled sugar level in diabetic patients decreases the saliva flow in the mouth, thus resulting in dry mouth condition which can further lead to oral problems such as ulcers, soreness, infections and tooth decay.
- Gum inflammation – In diabetes, along with weakening of body’s immune system due to impairment of white blood cells, it also decreases the elimination of waste products from body tissues including mouth. The combination of such conditions reduces the body’s ability to fight infections and increases the chances of occurrence of frequent gum diseases such as gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Poor healing of oral tissues – Due to high level of blood sugar, the process of healing gets delayed in diabetic patients. Such condition can be serious during oral or any other surgery and other dental procedures as the blood flow gets impaired.
- Thrush – Diabetic patients are more prone to fungal infection of mouth and tongue as they frequently take antibiotics to fight against infections. This condition can lead to thrush, a common fungal infection.
- Burning mouth and/or tongue – The presence of thrush can lead to oral problems like burning mouth in diabetic patients.
In case you have any more questions regarding how high blood sugar can affect your oral health, please feel free to contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. Families from Rocky Hill find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Farmington, Southington and East Berlin.
To know more on diabetes and its effects on oral health watch our video below.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
Email: [email protected]
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|