Research shows that a smile is the first thing we notice in a person. Smile comes only second to personality when we talk about attractive qualities in a person. Considering these facts tooth discoloration is an important area of concern which has been a common reason of embarrassment for many.
Teeth stains can appear as white/yellow streaks or as dark spots or pits on the tooth. Your dentist can identify tooth discoloration by just looking at them.
Some facts about tooth stains
Teeth stains or discolorations can be of two types – intrinsic and extrinsic.
Intrinsic stains – Problems associated with the inner layers of a tooth (pulp or dentin) contribute as the intrinsic factors of tooth staining or discoloration. Intrinsic stains/discolorations are associated with tooth trauma, excessive exposure to fluorides and certain medications. A common antibiotic tetracycline is known to cause yellowing of teeth.
Extrinsic staining – Extrinsic staining occurs due to discoloration of the enamel on the tooth externally. Causes of extrinsic staining can vary from habits like not brushing or flossing to consuming pigmented or dark food/beverages and using products with tobacco. These stains originate on the external layers of the tooth and can be easily removed by your dentist. Stubborn extrinsic stains may require laser whitening or use of bleaching gels.
If the tooth stains are severe or permanent, crowns or veneers are used to cover them.
Tips on avoiding teeth staining
You can prevent teeth staining by using these simple tips-
- Brush your teeth – Regular brushing after every meal can prevent staining.
- Rinse – Rinse your mouth with plain water after drinking wine, coffee, tea and such colored beverages.
- Avoid too much tea – Not only is tea an acidic drink but it also has tannins. Tannins and acid together make your teeth a fair game for all types of stains.
- Avoid too much fluoride – Intrinsic stains are hard to treat and may eventually damage the inner part of the tooth called pulp. Avoiding early exposure to excess fluorides can prevent intrinsic staining of tooth in children.
- Stop smoking – Tobacco laden products are a major reason for tooth staining. Stop it and you’ll see the results for yourself.
- See your dentist – Visit your dentist regularly for a professional teeth cleaning appointment. This will prevent the stains from getting stubborn.
For professional teeth whitening , contact Green Meadow Dental at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, (860)- 865- 0056. Families from Meriden find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also serve patients from surrounding areas including Farmington, Portland and Berlin.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|