Placement of dental crowns (tooth-shaped caps) on fractured, decayed or Root Canal -treated tooth is normally carried out in two dental visits. In the first visit, your dentist will examine your tooth which requires a dental crown, after which the dentist will start preparing the crown. Once the crown is prepared, you will be called for its placement in the second visit.
Here is a guide from Dr. Ranjitha Mukund, Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111, to explain the procedure for dental crown placement.
Examining and preparing the tooth
- In your first visit, your dentist will take a few X- rays to check the condition of the tooth roots and surrounding bone where the crown needs to be placed.
- Before starting the procedure, the dentist will anesthetize/numb the tooth and the surrounding area.
- The tooth will be filed along the chewing surfaces and sides to make place for the crown.
- In case of a decayed tooth where large areas are missing, your dentist will use filling material to “build up” for the support.
- Then your dentist will take the impression of the tooth using an impression paste which will be sent to a dental lab to prepare the crown.
Note: If the crown has to be made of porcelain, the dentist will select the shade that will most closely match the neighboring teeth. During the first visit, the dentist will insert a temporary crown to protect and cover the prepared tooth until the permanent one is fabricated.
Receiving the permanent dental crown
In the second visit, the temporary crown will be removed and the fitting of the permanent crown will be checked. Then the crown will be cemented over the prepared tooth.
Many people from Cromwell come to our office because we are conveniently located next to Target. Our flexible hours and family dental practice makes it easy for busy families to schedule visits for both parents and children.
If you have more queries or concerns regarding dental crowns, contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860)-865-0056. We also service patients from surrounding areas including West Hartford, Berlin and Meriden.
To know more about dental crowns keep reading our blogs or watch our video here.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|