Dentists perform teeth cleanings to remove plaque and calculus deposits from your teeth. Professional teeth cleanings are not only necessary to improve your smile and facial esthetics by, but they are also essential an optimal dental and physical health. At Green Meadow Dental in Newington CT, we recommend teeth cleanings twice a year, so that you and your family remain healthy and physically fit. Deep teeth cleanings in Newington CT are also performed at our office to treat advanced gum and periodontal problems.
Why are Teeth Cleanings Necessary?
No matter how regularly you brush and floss your teeth, plaque and tartar tends to accumulate on our teeth over time. These deposits are excellent breading places for various harmful bacteria that can cause infections, not only inside the oral cavity but also in other parts of the boy like respiratory, digestive and the cardiac system. Regular or deep cleaning in Newington can prevent all these problems breaking these teeth deposits and improving your oral and physical health.
When are Teeth Cleanings Required?
At Green Meadow Dental, we recommend that you visit us twice a year a dental checkup, so that we can make sure that you have an optimal oral health. During a routine examination, our dentist, Dr. Ranjitha Mukund may advise you to undergo a teeth cleaning procedure, if you have any of the following problems:
- Swollen and red gums
- Pain and discomfort in the gums
- Bleeding from the gums
- Teeth have become loose
- Bad breath, or halitosis
Generally, regular teeth cleanings are sufficient for the treatment of mild gum inflammation. However, if the plaque and calculus deposits have extended into the deeper structures of the teeth, deep cleaning in Newington may be required to prevent tooth loss.
Teeth Cleanings in Newington, CT
At Green Meadow Dental, we will start your teeth cleaning procedure examining your teeth and gums. We will also record your medical and dental history to create a customized treatment plan for you. Depending upon the severity of gum and periodontal inflammation, we offer two types of teeth cleanings at Green Meadow Dental in Newington CT:
Regular Teeth Cleanings in Newington CT
- What is Regular Teeth Cleaning? – a regular teeth cleaning procedure focuses on the portion of the teeth that is visible above the gums. Ultrasonic and hand instruments are used to remove plaque and calculus deposits from the teeth, followed by polishing.
- When Do I Need Regular Teeth Cleaning in Newington? – regular teeth cleaning is required to treat initial stages of gum diseases, where the bacteria have not penetrated the surrounding structures of the teeth such as the jaw bone and the deeper areas of the gums.
- How is Regular Teeth Cleaning Performed? – During a regular teeth cleaning procedure, we use different hand or ultrasonic instruments to detach plaque and tartar from the teeth. Ultrasonic scalers vibrate at very high frequencies and are highly effective in cleaning teeth and destroying the colonies of harmful bacteria that were living inside your gums. After a cleaning procedure, teeth surfaces tend to become rough and they promote further bacterial adhesion. To prevent this, we will polish your teeth after cleaning them.
Deep Teeth Cleaning in Newington CT
- What is Deep Teeth Cleaning? – Deep teeth cleaning or scaling and root planning, is a procedure that removes excessive amount of plaque and calculus that has accumulated beneath the gums. In this situation, bacteria inside the plaque start causing permanent damage to the gums and their surrounding structure. This condition is known as “periodontitis” (peri =around, odont = teeth, itis = inflammation)
- When Do I Need Regular Teeth Cleaning in Newington? – Deep teeth cleaning is required when gum inflammation extends into the deeper structures of the teeth, and bacteria start destroying the fibers that attach the gums to the teeth and jaw bones. Thus, gaps or “pockets” start appearing between the gums and the teeth, which further promote bacterial penetration and progression of inflammation. Destruction of the jaw bone and gum tissues causes the loosening, and subsequently, loss of teeth if the condition is not corrected in time.
- What to Expect During a Deep Cleaning Procedure? –Deep cleaning involves the use of ultrasonic scalers to remove tartar deposits from the teeth and the pockets that have formed between gums and the teeth. Root planning involves cleaning of root surfaces by getting rid of calculus deposits, followed by teeth polishing.
What to Expect After Teeth Cleaning?
At Green Meadow Dental, we take great care to ensure the comfort of our patients during a teeth cleaning procedure. However, it is common to expect the following after getting your teeth professionally cleaned:
- Teeth Sensitivity – your teeth may become sensitive to hot or cold drinks for a few days. We will place desensitizing agents on your teeth to minimize the sensitivity.
- Discomfort – you may feel slight discomfort in your teeth and gums for a day or two. Dr. Mukund will prescribe anti-inflammatory medication to you so that you remain comfortable during the healing phase.
- Bleeding – during the healing phase, slight bleeding from the gums is common. If this happens, there is no need to worry! Simply continue brushing and flossing and the bleeding will go away!
Whether you require deep teeth cleanings in Newington, or you need porcelain crowns to improve your smile, we are there to take care of all your dental problems at Green Meadow Dental! So why not book an appointment with Dr. Ranjitha Mukund today so that you can start enjoying a perfect dental health and beautiful smile!
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|