Crooked teeth are formed by crowding of teeth due to misaligned jaws. It starts appearing in children as young as five years of age. It is normally caused by improper functional habits such as breathing through mouth, thumb sucking, thrusting of tongue and reverse swallowing. Some kind of allergies and open mouth postures are also known to contribute to the formation of misaligned teeth.
A well designed research pointed out an interesting observation that rise in processed foods lacking in crucial nutrients may be a major reason behind abnormally aligned teeth with skinny, wobbly jaws. The clinical manifestations of crooked teeth go beyond the social and mental stigma associated with it. It not only causes dental problems but can also adversely affect your overall health. Some of the problems associated with it are:
2. Cleaning difficulties: Cleaning the nook and crannies of crowded teeth becomes a challenge leading to bacterial growth in the crevices making it difficult to remove.
3. Tooth wear: Crowding of teeth causes unnecessary friction resulting in undue wearing of enamel.
4. Bad breath: Crooked teeth harbor lingering bacteria due to challenges of cleaning, making it susceptible to bad breath.
5. Chewing and speech difficulties: The dislodged jaw with misaligned teeth makes speech and chewing of different kinds of foods difficult.
6. Damaged self-esteem and social skills: Oral abnormalities are known to be associated with social and cognitive abilities as the person’s susceptibility to oral infections impacts physical and mental health.
Braces do not completely eliminate the abnormality. Once the braces are removed, crowding of teeth starts again. Although cosmetic and alignment surgeries solve the problem to an extent but good oral habits can work just as good as life-long retainers and extend its benefits beyond dental health to keep the rest of your body healthy and sane.
For orthodontic treatment , contact Green Meadow Dental, 3579B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 or call: (860)-865-0056. Families from Southington find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also serve patients from surrounding areas including Berlin, Portland and Glastonbury.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|