You know your baby is teething when his first set of teeth or primary teeth starts breaking through the gums. It usually begins at around 6 months of age. It might also start anytime between 3 and 12 months of age. At the end of 3 years your child will have 20 primary teeth. The lower front teeth are the first to appear, followed by the upper front teeth.
Gums at this time become swollen and sore, which often makes babies irritable. Usually, symptoms of this irritability only last till the tooth breaks the gums. Biting on fingers or toys, increased drooling, fuzziness and refusal to take food are common signs of teething. Some babies however, are not affected by this process at all!
Here are few tips on how you can help your baby feel comfortable while teething:
- Give the baby some frozen teething toys or an icy cold wash cloth to chew on. The texture and the iciness helps relieve sore gums.
- A gentle massage using a clean finger or a teething ring can be soothing.
- Some over-the-counter pain relievers are good for temporary relief (only if necessary).
- Getting his mind off the pain also works wonders. More one-on-one time with your baby will distract him from the pain.
- A little extra cuddling will give that healing touch and in most cases it is enough to take your baby’s mind off his mouth.
To know more about oral care for your little ones, contact Green Meadow Dental at 3579 B Berlin Turnpike, Newington, CT 06111 (860-865-0056). Families from Cromwell find the easy drive to Newington well worthwhile because or our expertise and modern facilities, our friendly dental team and the relaxing disposition of Dr. Mukund. We also service patients from surrounding areas including Southington, Meriden and Farmington.
Posted on behalf of
3579B Berlin Turnpike
Newington, CT 06111
Phone: (860) 865-0056
Email: [email protected]
|MON:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|TUES:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|WED:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|THURS:||9:00am - 5:00pm|
|FRI:||9:00am - 5:00pm|